Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Teacher Week Day #3: Organizing for Instruction

I'm linking up with Blog Hoppin' for Teacher Week 2013!



I am an organizational freak (as seen in my Let's Talk About Me when I confessed most of my stuff in classroom storage are actually containers haha), so I like this one!



As much as I love organization, I'm preparing for the third day of kindergarten, I am so tired my eyes are closing as I am typing this.

So I am going to leave you with my top 5 tips for organization for instruction:

1. LABEL EVERYTHING: It's not only good for you, but it's good for the kids too. I find that the more I use real pictures instead of clipart, the better it is for the kiddos. Labels help everyone be responsible.

2. Throw stuff away that you aren't using. My first classroom had so much stuff leftover from the previous teacher and I felt bad throwing it away. But as soon as my first graders came it, I realized it was so much and so distracting that I was having trouble teaching. Only keep the things you are using!

3. Organize your files in the way that makes the most sense to you. If you are a year planner, plan by months. Make a bin or file to keep all your documents for August and so on. If you are a unit planner, plan by the unit. Keep bins or files for each unit for each subject. If you plan by standards, you get the drill. Do what is easiest for you!

4. Save examples. If you have the space to do so, and you are teaching the same grade the next year, save examples! I spent countless hours making examples of the projects and activities for my kiddos (unfortunately, I have not taught the same grade for more than one year yet!) and I could be way more organized if I had the examples already made!

5. Refile! This is one that I need to be better at doing. I am good at planning ahead, but I am horrible at putting master copies away. It makes my teacher space messy and a LONG afternoon when I finally do it. If I just did it as I went, it wouldn't be a problem :)


Now to go get some much needed sleep :)
Happy Hump Day!
Sarah

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover